The Bribery of Thought (6 o'clock news)

Restless evening.
Placeless…
Minutes roll away…
A parade of crashing dreams
I saw the previous night
The night before that
And the nights preceding…

A mixture of daily contemplation,
Antagonistic realities
Of outer belligerence
Contained in confusion,
Fighting
Avoiding heartfelt words-,
Sharpening my disbelief
And weakening the sagacity
The six-o’clock news
Try to craft…

Fossilised within my four walls,
(Ice-cold cubicle)
My hand made astray,
(A cave look alike,)
Offers me shelter, but
My senses refuse to get carried away.
Dreamland? Not an option

I stare at the screen.
I loose contact.
Sensation is gone, and
The main topics
Try to reach my ear in syllables
To bribe my attention-

Home and foreign affairs
Immigration

Education and policy
The exchequers
Transport and defence
USA, EU and Euro
Unanswered questions
Projects
Staff cuts
Staff shortages
Articulation and speechlessness
Prime Minister Questions and
A question of Sport…
Colourful,
Like a Greek salad
Seasoned up with Spanish olive oil…

Self-opposing statements
Aired
Through news reader’s voice
Enforced
Through news reader’s mimics
That reads
Ready written stuff
On a screen I can’t see
But guessing the lines
From her eye’s exercise

She tries to talk to me
Persuasively
To make me inhale the new message
And forget what I heard at One

I try to ignore the syllables and
Prepare around me the defensive wall
Let matters take their own course,
Whether right or wrong…


An inner feeling develops me into a formula
A chemical composition
Which breaches chemistry’s Preaching
And responds not to outside stimuli.

(Somebody’s compos mentis)

Trying to spot myself in the chain of atoms
I dare convince myself
None of my chromosomes is missing…

Purity of the moments I loved
Fades way
In the mazes fate put me to walk.
I just wonder why
I should still believe
And fight
When there’s no light ahead
I could see and feel…

Like a stranger walking a strange path.
With rotten shoes
Wet feet, and
Little or nothing in the stomach…
Unable to think straight
But still posing the question
‘Why should I struggle?
A question rhetorically posed.
A question-answer that primes
My position in my present line
And my line of vision beyond that…

Then I wish I could make people stop
Heading their ears for the lies…
Just for a moment
Listen to people like me
Forget for a moment the whole lot
The booze
Evening soaps
Football matches
Rock and roll
Even if depriving oneself
Of sex for a night
Will do…

Have a look at the news instead
The six o’clock ones…
The topics…
Look for me in there
Then think of people like me
That belong nowhere
And believe-belong here…

I think the unthinkable
I try to test Potassium on my nerve
And bribe the crashing dreams
To appear in clearer vision and sense
But I am restless
I am sleepless
Heading crashing, but
Stubborn to look at the time
That drains
Doing my best believing
And hoping
The six o’clock news
Will wear more human colours
At Ten…

Perparim 2007

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

E dua detin

Epitaf per vajzat

Epitaph for the girls