The lane to the graveyard

When in the morning I walk down my lane
I liberate my heart of bad dreams and pain
And I say ‘’Hello!’’ to people walking by
Some of them I know, some don’t know who are,
But I keep just greeting, I don’t mind their thoughts
‘Cos I know amid them may be one who ought, to
Need my morning greeting, to help them ware a smile
And ease their walk past me for a further other mile

Maybe they too, may have dreamt  
Of a lonely empty world
The oceans of our old sorrows
The rivers of our uncertainties…

On Sunday morning a bouquet of daffodils
I lay on a stranger’s grave
A handful of sweets I spray randomly
A bottle of water I save
For the neighbouring grave’s flower pots
Because time will come, I feel, I will need
I piece of land where to rest in peace
When my lingering years have gone

I am making friends with the dead
Because that’s a world in itself too
When I go, they’ll be thirsty for news
And I’ll have plenty to tell…

I will tell them, that they’re safe, for now
People are confused and impaired
They only need to keep an open eye for the cows
‘Cos the cemetery’s gate had been disturbed
And look after one another
Because the living have gone mad
It’s not worth to even bother
Waking up and try to rise….

Perparim 2000

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

E dua detin

Epitaf per vajzat

Epitaph for the girls