Floating down the stream

I’ve been following the water
down the stream for years, hoping to reach the sea
bumping into the contractions and openings
of the riverbank across strange lands
kicking my ribs on the fallen trees
streaming down the river along me.
Over the time
I’d use the shallow waters to learn to swim
Then I’d rejoin the water flow again
Imagining a wide open delta ahead of me
Just as the river reaches the sea
The place I’d have to make the choice
Which branch of the river to follow
To join smoothly the open, sea waters
Unnoticed by the waves that batter the shores
To keep out the fresh water river altogether
Then I’ll know if
I’d be welcome into the sea
Simply by the height of the waves
Running outwards-
Towards me
Brutal or kind...
...Does the sea understand
that its life span and worth
could be worse
if it shuts out the river’s natural flow!


Perparim 2007




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

E dua detin

Epitaf per vajzat

Epitaph for the girls