White path


I heard from them today.
Strangely
my old world lay on my feet-
like to remind me
it ‘s still on my head
lively, discrete...

I still watch the snowflakes fall smoothly-
seedless cotton wool-
filling the pathways with a stainless white
like a brides’ dress

I still see the brownish earth disappear
underneath

and the trees’ branches, bending
to pay honor to the passers by-

that enjoy every bit of nature’s courtesy
offered whitish -

I still see them appreciate
and understand
and be willing to walk the deserted pathways
this March

and willingly

living behind the landmarks of their feet
though temporarily-

pacing ahead
and trusting their own orientation
in deciding their next step-
unquestionably-

fearless, but blindly also
‘cos the pathways have disappeared
somewhere therein
challenging their ‘know how’;
to look beyond the horizon’s line
that can’t make it further than yards...

But they still go for it-
the roadmap in their heads
leads them slowly
shortening the distance to their destination
though by yards

adding few more stops
on the way
to read the landmarks-

centurion trees-
witnesses-
allies in every way
to every sweet and bad dream
the tots tried to tell
over breakfast
while the grown ups nodded
and later thought
"It could be true!"

I see further down-
the hills-
showing off its’ brand new white blouses
leading those rare passers by
nearer

from where they can finally see
though blurrily- their own homes
though vaguely- can hear the bells
ringing
in cottages

and then only

they remember their long march
on the pathway they didn’t see

but unmistakably followed...
and didn’t notice
icicles hanging to their hairy beards
while forgot they were thirsty at all...

I still see them
bending back their heads-
facing the sky;

I see them letting snowflakes
land on their lips;

I see snowflakes disappear
ahead of their breath
and melt
within;

I see their breath balance rhythm
and the alpine pigment
return to their chin

I still see the heat in their eyes
melt the frozen snow in the pathways
as far away
as the edge of their vision-

while hot air
escapes steamily
from their open- cavy- mouths
and land somewhere-
I don’t know-
somewhere whitish...

Then I see them smile-
looking nowhere
but having all in their catch-

holding the distance
in their palms-

Then I see them look thoughtful
but fresher,
their chest going up
and shoulders back

even though their inheritance
has been reduced to a riffle
their lives
reduced to a bullet
their dreams
reduced to a march
on the snowy, white pathways

And they let more snowflakes
fall on their lips,
and let them disappear
within
so they would then carry on
further, nearer, nearer still

Their black trousers
and their red shirts
contrasting
season’s fashion, but
busting their pride
while they approach
the door
they know it will be open

I see them recalling the knocking formula
a short-single
a long
a dual short

The L of Morse
for Freedom

Strangely I can still see
landmarks of their feet in the doorstep
twice as deep-
While the white pathways
take turns to stay awake tonight
so they can sleep...

Landmarks will be on guard...

Perparim 2006


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

E dua detin

Epitaf per vajzat

Epitaph for the girls