Sugar Flower Show (for A)

They came from nowhere, just fingertips,
Sugar flower, a few tools and paint
I wash up; I cook, and can’t notice
Why my wife’s so peaceful as a saint.
I wake up in the morning impressed
That at last managed to dream of springs;
The proof on my dining table is set
Flowers have exploded from seeds.
Next I noticed, I took my pen and wrote
What I saw on my table became verse
I ask my wife and she replies ”What?”

I realize her thoughts are somewhere else…

Heartsease let their purple show off
‘Look at my new dress’-It’s purple pure
And fresh, and when my sisters join me
No other flowers there can be 
So matching, dazzling-one can see
Us alone. We are the joy of every season.’
Then honeysuckle joins in-
Shy, but beauty, red and green
She says nothing, but fit and tall
She looks colossal of them all-
She shows off her spiky hair
What heartsease feared, now was there...

Then suddenly at the back door
I thought a shiny meteor
Had lost its way.
Poinsettia just appears
As red as flames, pompously geared, but
A cry I hear and jump outside
Poor Jasmine so frail, so thin
Complaining-why the weather got so hot
Where’s the snow, the chilly frost?
Poor Jasmine! The winter let her down again
Her old yellows she still wears
But, hey, I think she looks okay!

‘Look! Who’s there? Look! Who’s coming?
A stranger walking in my path?’
‘I’m not a stranger, I’m your friend
I thought you’d know me by my scent!
Have you forgotten? Just last year
You begged I come with you along

I did well impress your friend!
Because of me you got that hug.’
The rose then smiles, her petals glow
The sun vanishes in sorrow
And jealousy spreads on the table
Among the leaves, among the petals.

Some berries, red as sweet cherries,
Shy, just hid amid the greens
Holly entered walking slowly
Showing off her spiky leaves
Ivy followed with tiny steps
Of greenish greens, and joined the rest.

This marathon has no end here-
Primroses lead by daffodils
A combination of dazzling springs
Of greenish leaves, yellowish wings;
This single-minded Flora’s Kingdom
Has stamped all over their own freedom
Preserved to last, oh, how much I wish
I had some place to put my dish!
To my good hope, but my despair
Sweet peas appear from nowhere
Freesia has just had make-up
Takes a place and joins the lot
Pull flowers take their time, go slow
Like counting steps, then in the door
Carnation just appears all scents
A kiss to other flowers blows-
Attention seeks and starts the show.
My wife just sits and looks at them
Parading one after the other
I sit holding tight my chair
Wonders of her flowers wonder.

A noisy chat began au pair
I shout inside me, but don’t dare
To interrupt their cozy talk;
Instead, I leave for a walk, and hope
When I back am do again
They’ve chosen their “Miss Crafty” lot
The soon the better, ‘cause in fact
I want my children’s mother back!!!

Perparim 2006 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

E dua detin

Epitaf per vajzat

Epitaph for the girls